What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colorless gas which could be created whenever a fuel (such as wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, kerosene, etc.) is burning.
How does Carbon Monoxide Harm You?
Quite simply, carbon monoxide prevents oxygen from being used by your body. Carbon monoxide is poisonous and can harm your central nervous system.
Who is at Risk?
Everyone is at risk of being poisoned by carbon monoxide. However, individuals with exerting health problems such as heart and lung disease and the elderly are especially vulnerable. Infants, children, and pregnant women are also at risk.
What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning mimics many common illnesses, such as the flu and poisoning. Common symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning may include:
Health effects are related to the level of CO concentration and length of exposure. New studies indicate that chronic, low-level exposure can have serious health consequences.
Carbon Monoxide is Dangerous!
“CO Poisoning from the use of fuel burning appliances kills at least 200 people each year and sends more than 5000 to hospital emergency rooms for treatment. Others die from CO produced while burning charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent. Still others die from CO produced by cars unintentionally left running in attached garages.”
* CPSC 1997
INSTALL CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS FOR SAFETY’S SAKE
Remember, there are many more possible sources and causes of Carbon Monoxide:
- Appliances in cabins or campers
- Lack of adequate ventilation
- Bathroom and clothes dryer exhausts vented to outside in an airtight home can interfere with other vented appliances
- Recreational Vehicles, Tents
- Space Heaters, Boats
Common household appliances should not normally produce Carbon Monoxide, but CO production is possible if they are malfunctioning or not vented properly. Have all combustion appliances tested yearly.